Text: …. I am in the Father and the Father is in me…. And I will ask the Father and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever John 14:11 & 16
Today is Trinity Sunday in which we celebrate the Triune God. The doctrine of Trinity teaches that God is one, but in Three persons Godhead Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. The term Trinity does not exist in the Bible, but this does not mean that the concept is not biblical. The concept of Trinity was progressively revealed in the Bible. Among these passages are:
- “Let us make man in our image” (Gen. 1:26).
- “The man has become like us, knowing good and evil” (Gen. 3:22)
- “Let us go down and confuse their language” (Gen. 11:7)
- “When He prepared the heavens I was there when He set a compass upon the face of the depth”(Prov. 8:27)
- “Go therefore and teach all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”(Matt. 28:19)
- “The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the Lord of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit” (II Cor. 13:14).
Each persons of the Godhead is distinct yet one. The deity of Christ is affirmed in John 1:1 4. In the same vein, the deity of the Holy Spirit is attested to by the following passages I Cor. 12:4-6; 2 Cor. 13:13:14; Jude 1:20-21. Eph. 4:4 6; I Pet. 1:2. The focal passage also affirms that the persons of the Trinity are co-equal, co-substantial and co-eternal.
Though the concept of Trinity is a mystery yet it is a reality. It cannot be completely comprehended by human beings. The reality of the Trinity demands our total submission and adoration to the one God who out of love created, redeemed and sanctified us for the purpose of reigning with him in his eternal Kingdom.
Let us, therefore live give our lives to him as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to him, which is our reasonable service and not be conformed to the ways of the world (Romans 12:1 – 2).
Most ancient of all mysteries
Before thy throne we lie
Have mercy now, most merciful
Most holy Trinity.
A & M. 159 verse I
The Very Revd Adewale Adebiyi Ph.D