Text: And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory which comes from the Lord, Who is the Spirit (2 Corinthian 3:18)
God has a good plan for us. He wants us to be a new set of people with a transformed mind (Romans 12:2). But very often we are prevented from attaining this plan God has for us by the veils spread over our minds. These veils are:
(1) Prejudice which disallows us from seeing the truth from God’s angles, but from our own perspectives.
(2) Disobedience: Our disobedience keeps us from seeing God, and the more we disobey, the more difficult it becomes to see through the veil.
(3) Unteachable spirit: God gave us free will when we exercise our free will without any regard to God, we become unteachable. When we refuse to accept spiritual truth as presented by the Bible, we cannot share in Christ’s glory.
The Epistle appointed for this Sunday, tells us about how we can attain the glory God wants us to have. It is solely by being in the Lord Jesus Christ, because Christ himself is the glory of God.(Hebrew 1:3). His glory is eternal and does not fade. As we pattern our lives after His, we will reflect His glory progressively through the help of the Holy Spirit. This then demands that:
(1) We must deepen our study of the Bible with the aim of knowing Christ more and more (Colossian 3:16)
(2) Set our minds and wills on heavenly issues (Colossian 3:1-5)
(3) We should always endure and exercise self-control in all we do and say (Philippians 4:5)
(4) We must desire to become Christ-like in order to share his glory (Philippians 3:10)
The glory of Christ which those who put Him on have in this world is just a foretaste of the immense glory that would be theirs in the hereafter (I John 3:2). Let us therefore strive to be in Christ, so that we can reflect His glory.
Finish then thy new creation
Pure and spotless let us be
Let us see thy great salvation
Perfectly restored in thee
Changed from glory into glory
Till in heaven we take our place
Till we cast our crown before thee
Lost in wonder, love and praise.
A & M. 205 verse 3.
The Very Revd Adewale Adebiyi Ph.D