Text: Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come (II Cor. 5:17 NIV)
Becoming a Christian is the best thing that can happen to anyone. This is because Christians are new creation, reborn with water and renewed by the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:4-5). The Holy Spirit gives them new life. And through this new life given, they are reformed and thereby become new creation living with Christ Jesus (Colossians 2:6-7). The new life given enables the Christian to have a new perspective about himself and life, that he or she is redeemed to serve the living God, that the old way of living which solely pleases our carnal nature is gone, that he is in the world but not of the world. The Christian comes to the realization that he has been crucified with Christ and that Christ lives in him and that the life he now lives in the flesh is lived by faith of the son of God who loved him and gave his life for him (Galatians 2:20)
Being made a new creation confers on the Christian enormous responsibilities and privileges. They consist of the following:
(1) We are to live as Christ’s servants. This is because we have been bought with a price; we do not belong to ourselves, but to the Lord Jesus Christ who purchased us with his blood. (1 Corinthian 6:20; 7:23). To live as servants of Christ therefore means following in the footsteps of the Lord Jesus Christ. This calls for endurance and patience (Heb. 12:1-4)
(2) We are to engage in evangelism for the extension of the frontiers of the kingdom of God.
(3) Contribute to the sustenance of the Church with our resources. Our God given talents and resources are to be employed in the service of God and humanity
(4) We are to be steadfast in worship and in prayer our worship and prayer constitute our acknowledgment of the sovereignty of God.
The privileges that we have as new creation in Christ consist of the following:
- We are now children of God in the heavenly places (Ephesians 2:6; Colossians 2:6-7) and blessed with every spiritual blessings in Christ (Ephesians 1:3)
- We will be made alive in resurrection (1Corinthian 15:22)
Infact, the Lord Jesus Christ has gone before us to prepare a place for us that where he is, we too will be (John 14:2-3)
- Ware set free from our sinful nature and thereby brought near to God (Colossians 2:11, Ephesians 2:13)
- As new creation, we can approach God confidently, having our sins forgiven (Ephesians 3:12)
As we have these privileges as new creation in Christ which far outweigh our responsibilities as Christians, let us take our Christian calling seriously by upholding the tenets of our faith without wavering so as realize in full the privileges of new creation in Jesus Christ in the hereafter.
Breathe on me breath of God
Fill me with life a new
That I may love what thou dost love
And do what thou wouldst do
(A & M. 236 V.1)
Very Revd Dr. Adewale Adebiyi